(and Changed 'Appearances')
Now about eight days after these sayings Jesus took with him Peter, John and James, and went up on the mountain to pray. And while he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became dazzling white.
Read Luke 9: 28-36 (37-43) and consider the questions below:
Questions for Reflection:
1. Why do you suppose Jesus took three disciples up to the mountain to pray? Were they to pray with/for him? Did he need witnesses for an event he knew would transpire? Other?
2. Notice when Jesus’ countenance changed. When has the practice of prayer had a similar effect on you (on any level)?
3. When has it been difficult for you to stay awake, stay engaged, stay alert during prayer or any difficult situation. What is the benefit of keeping alert/engaged?
4. When have you experienced an extraordinary or ‘transformative’ event that left you astonished or even verklempt? How did God/faith enter in and how did it noticeably impact you? How do we best posture ourselves for spiritual encounter? Where do you most need a transformative experience today?
5. What is the significance of Luke’s inclusion of a healing story following the mountain top transfiguration?