Hebrews 4: 12-13; II Timothy 2:15; Romans 12: 2
Consider the following questions in preparation for the sermon:
1. What do you know about how the Bible came together? Might this affect your reading of it?
2. How would you describe your relationship with the Bible? Do you read it and how often? Why read the Bible? What are your biggest obstacles to reading/studying Scripture?
3. Consider study aids such as Bible dictionaries, concordances and commentaries, maps, video reenactment of Scripture etc… What has been helpful to you?
4. How do you interpret Scripture? The Inerrant Word of God? God-breathed yet human transcribed, allowing for error? How do United Methodists read Scripture? Talk about Biblical authority.
5. Since there are different kinds of literature in the Bible, how might this impact our reading/interpretation.
6. Consider different uses of Scripture: meditation, prayer, study, song, poetry etc…